A question we get a lot is what's the difference between remanufactured engines (or transmissions) and rebuilt or used engines (or transmissions). Many people confuse rebuilt products with remanufactured (reman) products, and some may even assume that a used product will be a viable replacement alternative to their failed engine, transmission, differential, or other components.
With JASPER® reman components, you get tolerances that meet or exceed those of the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) and a nationwide warranty that, in many cases, is better than a new component warranty. Completely remanufactured... for a lot less than you might think.
But, whatever term you use for that component you're having installed in your car, truck, SUV, or boat, you should make sure that you're getting exactly what you think you're getting. Here's how we differentiate used, rebuilt, and remanufactured:
USED ENGINES, TRANSMISSIONS, AND DIFFERENTIALS
Used components are pulled directly from a vehicle – typically a junkyard vehicle – and generally not even so much as surface cleaned. There are no provisions for disassembly, internal cleaning, or inspection with a used component. Used or junkyard components may have high mileage and poor maintenance history – a failure waiting to happen. Many used or junkyard components come from a vehicle that was involved in an accident and may have unseen damage.
REBUILT ENGINES, TRANSMISSIONS, AND DIFFERENTIALS
To rebuild is to recondition by cleaning, inspecting, and replacing severely worn or broken parts. Serviceable parts are reused within the manufacturer's acceptable wear limits. The quality of rebuilt components varies widely and many come with only a limited warranty.
REMANUFACTURED ENGINES, TRANSMISSIONS, AND DIFFERENTIALS
To remanufacture is to make as close to new as possible. Most wearable parts are automatically replaced. All core material is closely inspected and checked against original equipment specifications for correct dimensional tolerances. Replacement parts are new or requalified. If new, parts are made in the same production processes as original equipment. Testing is performed to manufacturer specifications and original production standards.
Choose for yourself, but know that JASPER will only provide completely remanufactured engines, transmissions, differentials, and drivetrain products — or any of our other remanufactured components — with a nationwide warranty. You can drive away from your technician's shop with confidence if you have a JASPER reman component.
Facts About JASPER Remanufacturing
- JASPER Engines & Transmissions was founded in 1942 and today is the nation's largest mass remanufacturer of a diverse line of drivetrain components. Annual production includes 65,000 gas engines; 75,000 transmissions; 6,500 diesel engines; 5,000 differentials and rear axle assemblies; and 1,200 stern drives. The product mix also includes performance engines and transmissions, marine engines, stern drives, outboard lower units, outboard powerheads, and electric motors.
- JASPER is the only remanufacturer to have 3 individuals named Remanufacturer of the Year by PERA, The Production Engine Remanufacturer's Association.
- Corporate and remanufacturing operations are located in Jasper, Indiana, where the company operates four remanufacturing facilities. Remanufacturing facilities are also located in Crawford County, Indiana (the site of a distribution center as well) and Willow Springs, Missouri. A second distribution center is located in Kingman, Arizona, to provide greater availability to JASPER's West Coast Customers.
- JASPER Engines & Transmissions employs over 2000 Associates. JASPER products are distributed through a network of 43 branch and distributor locations.
- JASPER supplies transmissions and differentials to some of the greatest names in NASCAR racing. The technology we gain is built into the products we supply for your race of everyday life.
- JASPER operates on a philosophy of a continuous improvement in safety, quality, productivity, customer service, and the reduction of waste. Our mission statement is simple: "Do It Right and Have Fun!" We are committed to remaining a leading force in the automotive industry. Progressive programs of research and new product development enable us to provide quality value-oriented products second to none.
- Every remanufactured product is thoroughly tested and inspected for quality assurance.
- Immediate availability on most popular applications. Fast turnaround custom remanufacturing programs are also available.
- JASPER remanufactured products are built to industry specifications that are equal to or more exact than those used by the original equipment manufacturer.
- JASPER remanufactured products are backed by written factory warranties. A Premium Service Plan is also available.
- The bottom line is value and JASPER remanufactured products provide value for your dollar in terms of longevity, durability, and performance.